Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the teacher/student ratio?
Average of 1:6 teacher-to-student ratio
- What range of diagnoses/combinations (CD/ED/LD) do you serve?
Primarily, mild to moderate CD, LD. Also, students on the autism spectrum if deemed appropriate for our setting.
- Do the students wear uniforms?
We suggest students wear navy pants/shorts/skirts with a polo-type short or long-sleeved shirt with the St. Coletta Day School (SCDS) school logo.
- How much is tuition?
As part of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program, St. Coletta Day School offers students two pay options. One through the Choice program and one private pay option. For details on tuition costs, please contact Bill Koehn, St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you have a mandatory parent involvement policy?
While there is no mandatory policy, parents are strongly encouraged to participate in regularly scheduled Parent Meetings, special events, and Parent/Student/Teacher conferences.
- What licenses do your teachers hold?
Our teachers hold a range of certifications and licenses issued by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. For a detailed list of licenses and certifications held by each staff member, please refer to our staff bio page or CLICK HERE.
- Can my student be accepted mid-year?
Students are accepted on a case by case basis. For more information, please contact Bill Koehn, St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee Administrator: email@example.com
- Are there fundraising obligations?
St. Coletta Day School does not require any fundraising obligations; however, all students partake in our signature fundraiser, ColettaScope. This is an opportunity for parents to assist with planning and participating in the event, which showcases the students’ artwork.
- Is there a religious component to your program. If so, what does it consist of?
St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee is a non-denominational school.
- What process do you use for expulsion?
Expulsion shall be considered as a rarity and used only as a very last measure.
- What transitional services do you offer for HS-age students?
We hope to be able to expand our program to offer transitional services as the school continues to grow; however, at this point, we incorporate these transitional skills into our curriculum and offer resources as students reach that point in their education.
- My child is wheelchair-bound with serious medical needs and profound cognitive disabilities. Can you accept him/her?
St. Coletta Day School is best suited for students with mild to moderate cognitive delays; however, we assess each potential student on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact Bill Koehn, St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are there opportunities for mainstreaming with regular-ed students and if so, what are they?
Opportunities for our students to interact with and be included in classes with our host school is assessed on an individual basis.
- Start and end times for school days, and access to the school’s calendar for planning (vacations, etc)?
The regular school day begins at 7:25 am, with the students’ arrival and ends at 2:25 pm. A yearly overview calendar is provided to the families, as well as monthly calendars with specific events listed.
- How much is school lunch?
St. Coletta Day School participates in the school lunch program provided by our host school. Lunch prices for the 2012-2013 school year are as follows:
Grades k-5: $2.75
Grades 6-8: $3.00
- Do you have an afterschool program?
While we do not offer any after school programs, our host school does offer a before and after school day care program. Sports activities, clubs, and scouting opportunities are also available through our host school.
- How do I arrange busing?
Students who are identified with a current IEP through the Milwaukee Public Schools are eligible for door-to-door transportation. These arrangements are made, on your behalf, through St. Coletta Day School.
- Am I able to volunteer in my child’s class?
We have many volunteer opportunities available for parents who are able to commit to a regular schedule. Volunteering in our school, and our host school, requires a minimal training session that is offered through the Milwaukee Archdiocese. For more information, please contact Bill Koehn, St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee Administrator: email@example.com
- Are there scholarships available?
Qualifying families may apply to the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (MPCP) as part of the application process. There is also some tuition assistance available to qualifying families. You can discuss these options with the administrator.
- Is there a strategic plan and if so, does it include plans for SCDS to eventually have its own building?
The Board of Directors, with input from the school administration, staff and parent group, has developed a Long Range Plan. Our program is designed to work in a cooperative relationship with a host school. We have shared the learning environment with St. Sebastian Parish since 1956. This relationship best fits the needs for our students.
- How long have the staff been at the school?
Our staff has been with the school for a combined 27 years.
- Who are your board members?
For a complete list of our board members, CLICK HERE.
- What organizations do you partner with?
St. Coletta Day School of Milwaukee partners with over 50 organizations in the area. For a list of some of our key partners, CLICK HERE.
- Are there service opportunities for the students?
As part of the regular curriculum, St. Coletta Day School students take part in a service project once per month. This includes work at the Interfaith Food Pantry and St. Sebastian Parish and Catholic Church.
- What information do I need/what is the process to register my child?
For a detailed look at the registration process, CLICK HERE.